Steven Wm. Fowkes’ interest in Alzheimer’s disease began in college with his paternal grandfather’s passing. “Grumpy” played a pivotal role in encouraging several of Steve’s emerging interests, for which cosmology is still an active avocation. In 1993, he coauthored Smart Drugs II with Dr. Ward Dean and John Morgenthaler, which featured a chapter on Alzheimer’s disease. But at that time, it was an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach, because the jigsaw puzzle pieces of scientific discovery were mostly compartmentalized and separate. Then, in 2001, a key piece of research was published by a collaboration of dental researchers from the University of Kentucky and the University of Calgary which linked several of these jigsaw puzzle pieces together into a recognizable image. That image was the sulfhydryl (reduced sulfur) redox defense system, which malfunctions when the recycling of glutathione wanes sufficiently that the ratio of mercury to reduced sulfur tips in favor of mercury. In 2002, Steve authored an article in the [last published issue] of Smart Life News (CERI’s newsletter). Since then, Steve has converted his early PowerPoint presentation on Alzheimer’s disease to a nine-part video series on YouTube. Further discussions on Quora can be found here.
- Top Ten Ways to Reverse Alzheimer's Disease: Quick nutritional approach to reversing Alzheimer's Disease (introductory information from Project Wellbeing)
- Alzheimer’s Reversal for Doctors: Introuction and Orientation: The medical side of Alzheimer’s disease reversal. A comprehensive blog to approach AD. (Contains multi-directional approach to preventing and reversing Alzheimer's from Project Wellbeing).
- Alzheimer’s Reversal for Doctors: Thyroid Hormone: Thyroid hormones are at the top of the list for two good reasons, 1) they play the most direct role in regulating basal metabolic rate, which is the foundational dimension of the body’s energy systems, and 2) traditional medical practice for the last 50 years regarding the standard of care for hypothyroid symptoms are woefully dysfunctional.
- Alzheimer’s Reversal for Doctors: Sex Steroids: Sex steroids, like thyroid hormone, are very effective at raising metabolic rate with minimal side effects. The precursors and metabolic pathways for steroid hormones are well known.
- Illustration - Alzheimer's Disease Reversal: Four Types of Factors: A one-page graphic for tying together Steve's Alzheimer’s-reversal blogs(downloadable)
- Niemann Pick Type C and Alzheimer’s ?: Steve's opinion that the root cause of Alzheimer’s disease is the loss of glutathione recycling and the release of mercury from its glutathione-bound form. (PW)
- Alzheimer's Disease Page: Articles and supporting materials to prevent and reverse Alzheimer's Disease (CERI)
- Alzheimer's Reversal Video Series: 9 Part Series on preventing and reversing Alzheimer's Disease. (YT)
- Quora discussions regarding Alzheimer's Disease (Hub)